Wednesday, December 12, 2012

21Kittens

It's Wednesday today, which means that today's topic is 21Kittens, my brand of handmade notebooks.
I started this project about 3 years ago when I decided to learn how to bind notebooks using the coptic stitch for an Xmas present. Little did I know I would find it so enjoyable and become hooked!

I then went on to make notebooks for friends and family using not only the coptic stitch, but also long stitch and Japanese binding.

Tilde's Journal

But as life would have it, once I moved to London and started working, I found it rather difficult to make time for my project, let alone have any energy left to pursue my hobby!

Now that I have been working as a 'housewife' though, I have plenty of time to go on making more notebooks, so this autumn I reactivated my etsy store and have slowly been adding new items to it (although not as fast as I'd like; I am a cat after all and I get very easily distracted!)

Most of the work that I have done so far have been custom orders. I enjoy making them because of the challenge, not to mention the fun. Once a person tells me they want a specific book, ideas start popping into my head immediately. What sort of material to use, which sort of binding should it have, how the cover should look, etc.

Serch's sketchbook

But that can also be a trap. I tend to spend too much time thinking, and not doing. This is normally due to the fact that I can't always find the type of paper I have in mind.

For instance, a friend of mine has requested a dream journal. He's given me carte blanche on it, so I can decide size, pages, design, etc. The thing is, I already got the idea of how it should be as soon as he spoke the words 'Dream Journal'. The problem is finding the paper I have in mind, hence why I haven't started it yet. I am hoping I will come to a decision soon, as I want him to have it before the year's end.

Anyway, that was me rambling on again. I just wanted to give you guys an introduction to 21Kittens and let you know that it will be featured each Wednesday.

So yeah, I will post pictures and write an update here about the Dream Journal once it's done.

Ah, and before I forget, you can read older posts on my previous 21Kittens blog.
Take care,
Oni


No comments:

Post a Comment